I offer on-site and distance learning programs for BVFLS firms and individual professionals that improve practice development skills.
Our marketplace is more competitive, our clients are more empowered, and our value is less obvious.
The commoditization of our work has left us competing with DIY websites that provide cheap valuation solutions, leaving our audience of prospects, clients, and referral sources with the impression that this is all we have to offer.
We mainly have ourselves to blame for this state of affairs.
The solution is two-fold.
1st, you’ll want to augment the basic practice development, management, positioning, and pricing skills you already have – and then communicate the results to your audience of leads, prospects, clients, and referral sources.
Today’s marketplace is a digitally connected economy, and the marketing skills we learned or had passed down to us have changed. How do you build the practice you want in this environment? Where your clients can come from anywhere in the country, if not the world, and the same is true of your competition?
Like it or not, we need to be more marketing skills driven.
2nd, you’ll want to create an action plan that will simultaneously build and showcase your authority (thought leadership) in the practice area or industry niche where you want to stake a claim.
Authority is your competitive advantage. It stems from having specialized knowledge … being known for what you know (your expertise) … advancing your unique perspective on that expertise … getting recognized for it … and leading buyers of BVFLS services to your door.
Authority. All of our industry titans have it … it’s time to build yours.
In 1997, I attended my first business valuation training. Rod Burkert was one of the instructors. Since then, I have enjoyed Rod’s presentations and email newsletters about developing a BVFLS practice, which always includes insightful and timely information. For 20 years, Rod has been a leader in this area and will continue to be a leader.
– James Koerber | The Koerber Company, PA
Training for Firms
Practice Builder Bootcamp: 6 Strategies to Elevate Your Business Development Success is a 6-week, 6-hour blueprint created to build the authority of “need-to-be” rainmakers in medium and large BVFLS practices, congruent with the identity and culture of their firms.
- Week 1 – Attracting buyers of our professional BVFLS services
- Week 2 – Creating a standout statement that distinguishes you from the competition
- Week 3 – Using social media/LinkedIn to find leads and convert them into prospects
- Week 4 – Managing four communication pillars to build authority
- Week 5 – Designing an efficient/effective content marketing strategy
- Week 6 – Creating an actionable marketing plan to showcase authority
Each weekly webinar is a practical “let’s do lesson” … no theory. The webinars will teach your firm’s practitioners WHAT to do, HOW and WHY to do it, and guide you WHILE YOU DO IT.
The key thing our people got from this bootcamp was the need to plan in advance for developing authority in our individual practice areas. We learned what needs to be done … now it is time to execute!!!
– Christopher King, CPA, CVA, ABV, CMA, MAFF, CFF | Partner Matson Driscoll & Damico, LLP
Rod’s bootcamp sessions helped our firm understand how we can become visible experts in our field and how we can market our expertise to a targeted audience of potential clients.
– Mark Orndorff, CFA, ASA | Principal Southard Financial, LLC
Training for Professionals
I am developing five courses to help BVFLS practitioners of all stripes be more efficient, effective, and profitable in growing their practices and improving how they market to leads, prospects, clients, and referral sources:
- Practicing Solo
- Raise Your Rates
- Using Social Media to Expand Your Sphere of Influence
- Once Upon a Time: Report Writing 2.0
- Presenting Data
The first three courses are based on my experiences as a solo practitioner since July 2000, my “Practicing Solo” interviews appearing in every issue of The Value Examiner since December 2011, and successfully cultivating new projects using social media after I began my full-time RV work-life in March 2010.
The last two courses are based on the trials of preparing my own reports and reviewing reports prepared by colleagues, and they build on many previous programs that I have presented. To me, report writing is the final frontier of BV productivity and an overlooked opportunity to save time and improve realization.
If you are interested, sit tight! I will be announcing the courses as they roll out. The best way to get the latest scoop is to sign up for my newsletter (see the sidebar →).
What Makes My Programs Different
I regularly find myself in CPE webinars, and I feel your pain. Too much being covered in too little time in text-dense slide decks that simply can’t be absorbed. My programs are different because:
1st, they are taught live and offer a live video feed of yours truly. You’ll be able to see me talking to you.
2nd, class size is limited so it will feel more like a classroom than an auditorium. And if you have a specific question you can ask it live online and get an answer straight away.
3rd, your materials include slides, templates I use in my practice, lists of suggested readings and resources, and a recording of the program so you can relax and focus on what’s being said instead of frantically taking notes.
4th, my programs help you make or save time and money.
Why I Am Qualified to Guide You
Notice that I used the word “guide” and not “teach” or “instruct.” The former implies listening to you and collaborating on shared learning objectives and outcomes … the latter implies a talking head and collectively crossing our fingers that you “get it” and will be able to apply the training.
Also, learning takes place at the intersection of education and experience.
I know I offer both:
- In one way, shape, or form I’ve been doing valuations since the late 1980s and have had my own solo practice since 2000.
- Between 1996 and 2005, I was a member of and a lead instructor for NACVA’s Consultants Training Institute.
- I missed the classroom environment and rejoined NACVA’s live and online teaching circuit in 2011.
- I am the recipient of various NACVA instructor awards, including Circle of Light and Instructor of the Year, and have been named one of NACVA’s Outstanding Members. I am also a past chairman of NACVA’s Executive Advisory Board and Education Board.
- I was named a Pioneer of the Profession as part of NACVA’s Industry Titans awards at their June 2016 Annual Conference.
- Besides NACVA, I have spoken on valuation matters for the AICPA, ASA, ALI-ABA, state CPA societies, chambers of commerce, estate planning councils, bar associations, law firms, and private banking groups.
- I am a contributing author to Business Valuation Update, The Value Examiner, Financial Valuation and Litigation Expert, and QuickRead on the subjects of my courses.